Note to those who are ever planning on visiting England in the near future:
Bangs are not called bangs here. If you say to someone, ''Ohh did you get your bangs cut??'' they will not reply, ''Why yes, I did.'' So then you will not be able to say ''Well I like them they look really nice.'' With an expected reply of ''thank you.'' That is how I imagined the entire conversation happening in my head. So it was a very rude awakening when it went a little something like this:
''OOOh did you get your bangs cut.'' ''HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Bangs? No I did not get my bangs cut.'' ''Marcy just asked me if I got my bangs cut.'' More laughing. Hahahahahahahaa.
Me with a sour look on my face, as if that is not expected anyway.
Still more continual laughing.
This went on for about ten more minutes, each minute added more people to tell and laugh. It was all pretty hilarious. Unless you were me. Then it was not.
One, I did not think that laughing at the word bang was even that funny.
Two, I still didn't even know what they called it.
Three, pointing and laughing should be a criminal act.
So apparently bangs are called fringe.
I thought I would pass that along so even more people could get a laugh at my expense.
Ohh so I completely forgot to tell you I was a judge for the Barnard Castle X factor, which is there American idol. So there are five judges on the panel. The one to my right has simon cowell quotes printed out, but is the nicest guy ever and is from bath...pronounced BAAAAth. He is very posh and has very good manners and I highly doubted he would make a mean comment. By the way just to give you a better idea of him. He is a 24 year old physics and chemistry teacher who was once a disco dancing champion. enough said.
The next judge was a student teacher who does not speak much. It is hard enough to get her to reply to a hello..so I highly doubted she would be making very many comments
The next judge was yet again another student teacher. uhh I figured she would give nice enough answers.
The last judge was Carrie. She is great. A 24 year old Spanish and french teacher, she went to the school and knows like all about it. Still she is really nice and I wasn't expecting any mean comments from her.
So I guess I am going to have to be simon cowell, right? I mean he is the only British judge in the states. So it would only make sense for me to be him here.
Okay so when they asked me to be the judge I was thinking that it would be like us and the performers and that was it. So that was NOT the case. Barnard Castle x-factor is apparently the real deal. The entire school showed up for this. There was even a spotlight shining down on us while we gave our comments. So I of course am asked to go first. The first act was good. A girl singing allison krouse while playing the guitar. I am completely honest and say, well I think you did a good job, but you could probably lose the guitar. Well to this I got booed. Very loudly. Ohh great I think, they already hate the American. The rest of the judges go one to say how great they thought the performance was. Carrie says and I quote, '' Hannah that was very good and a little birdy told me that you just picked up the guitar about a month ago, so I am going to have to disagree with Ms. Cuneo and say your performance was excellent.''
Great as If I was supposed to know she just picked up the guitar, so I felt terrible and I have to say that kinda made me nervous to give any more mean comments.
As the performances went on I noticed that Chris was literally writing a script down as they performed. The second they started singing he would put his head down and write a a very clever script. Well to this I got annoyed. So I decided after yet again giving this incredible comments I needed to call him out. Soooo when my turn rolled around I said, Uhh Mr. Butler I though we were supposed to be watching the performance to judge it, not writing a full script out to give a performance of our own. Ouch
He def felt that. I got a little nudge, but were still friends.
So after that I was feeling a little confident...maybe a little cocky as well. Really the next performer did not stand a chance. He decided to sing Chasing cars by snow patrol and honestly I wish he was chasing cars instead of singing it because it was awful. He didn't know any of the words and was completely off tune.
So I said..I didn't love it and I will tell you why
Crowd: very loud BOOOOs.
Me: I'm sorry for having an opinion (simon cowell comment, at least someone benefited from those quotes!)
The rest of the performances were good so I didn't have to be to mean. Just thought I would keep you updated on my new talent. I might even look into becoming a judge for the upcoming season!
P.s. a comment every now and then would be nice you lazy Americans!
2 comments:
calling bangs "fringe" is stupid laugh and point at them
i just read this out loud to mom, dad, alan, andrea, arianna, and alexander. we all laughed a lot.
Post a Comment