Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Country Life

19/11
That is how I have to write the date now of days. I was abused yesterday because I write the month first. I then asked well what if you were writing the date out like November 19, 2008. They were like no 19 November 2008. I was like uhh my way makes so much more sense and you need to but the 19th of November. To this I got a shake of the head and was ignored. Its funny how little things and words you don't even think about could seem so strange to others. Like faucet. Its a word I rarely think about or ever had to explain because everyone knows what that is, but no here you would just get a blank stare. They have NEVER heard the word before and think it is extremely weird if you call it anything but a tap. I have had to start to change my vocabulary around just so people know what I am talking about. With hockey it is the worst. Exaple:
Pinney team you are going to playing offense. Nonpinney you are playing D. Make sure everyone has their mouthgaurds in.
I now have to say:
Bibs you are attack. Non bibs you are defense, and put in your gum shields.
One year seven girl (6th grade) told me yesterday that I need to start speaking English. I was like uhh excuse me, what exactly do you think I am speaking right now. She was like you know what I mean Miss. I was like actually no I don't I am American but I am still speaking English.
Staff dinner conversation at school is usually interrupted by me going waaait ..what did you just say..what is that? They explain and then move on acting as if I was there young child. They all always complain about the water tasting funny as well and I really don't mind it so I just keep drinking it anyway. One of the teachers asked me if it bothers me which I said nah I don't really care. He then asked me what the chemical makeup of water was in the states. Which dumbfounded I replied..uhh H20?? Why is he asking me this..there is no way THAT is different. He is a Chemistry and Physics teacher mind you.
No news on the sheep incident. I told some of the teachers who thought it was absolutely hilarious and instead of giving me advice on why it would have happened, they proceeded to Baa at me for the rest of the day. So nice.
I am a judge on X factor/American idol today at four which should be really fun. I think I am going to go for the Randy Jackson..they dont really have one of them over here. Hes def one of a kind. Ill let you know how it goes....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marcy
You said Americans were not leaving messages. you will be sorry. plus this is the second time i had to type this because i did not know the rules about logging in.
anyway , it is running with the bulls in Spain not the sheep in the UK.
also i am very disappointed in all the drinking you know we frown on too much booze.
and the fat lady who could not sing might have been your lovely Aunt Helena,
i cant wait to see you at pollyanna .
Love,
Aunt Helena