Thursday, December 4, 2008

Let is snow...

Yayy...Its snowing in Barney.
I woke up this morning to about 6 inches of snow on the ground. My initial thought was YES no school. I ate breakfast and came downstairs hoping to see no one in sight. Well my initial thought was completely wrong. Of course there are boarders so even though the buses were not able to make it to school today there are already about 180 students who live on campus so school must go on. There were also about 50 day pupils that made it in as well. I told the deputy head that I was really lucky to make it in this morning because outside my door was covered in snow. I don't think he thought that was very funny because there were about a 20 teachers missing. Still most of them were able to make it in and school was supposed to carry on as normal.
Normal it was not. For kids who have not had proper snow in about 8 years this was one of the most exciting things that has happened to Barney in a while. I was bored in the morning while people were in lessons so I walked around school giving out chocolate covered pretzels that I had made the night before. Let me tell you making them was not the most fun I ever had. First of all they only had mini little pretzels and one brand of them. I was walking around the grocery store going no but seriously this is all you have. I was like no pretzels rods, sticks, squares, any larger ones then this? The women looked at me like I was nuts and then said oh wait there these ones. They were sour cream and onion pretzels. Um alright these will have to do. So I bought the minis and a bunch of chocolate. It took me and hour and half to make one bag full they were so small. I stood in our kitchen singing Christmas songs the entire time. So this morning with my freshly made pretzels I walked around singing more Christmas songs and spreading Christmas cheer. Well that's what I told everyone when I offered them a pretzel. Most people were so confused when they saw them. They were like but its a pretzel covered in chocolate and you made them??? Yes.
They were a hit. They were gone in like 60 seconds. (no pun intended).
So later in the afternoon during our P.E. lessons today we had snow ball fights and biggest snowball competition. I looked absolutely ridiculous by the way. My big white north face jacket, bright blue waterproof pants, my green and white polka dot rain boots with pink socks sticking out the top, but I was dry and warm so who cares. We also built the Pepper family, which is the family that runs the girls boarding house. Husband, wife, and three kids. We even managed to build their dog! So games was really fun today. At one point I was the only female teacher out there so all the 5 male teachers surrounded me and attacked me with snow. It was so friendly of them. Tonight I am on duty and we are having a paella night with the little ones and the older girls are having a body shop party, like the store. So it should be fun.
9 more days till I am home! The snow and Christmas and baking has made me so excited!
Miss you all.
P.s. did you know oh Christmas tree is quite an American song. Boo. So is the Grinch, so when I sang that to the ones that weren't going outside they thought I was making a Jim Carey reference. Weird.

No comments: