Friday, April 24, 2009

They put whip cream on the beer here.

Shot number 3, when we waited for the man.
The walk up to the castle.




At the top of Patron Hill, Hi MOM-MOM!


John Lennon Wall.










Prague.
Okay so after sleeping in the airport for my 6 o'clock flight I finally arrived in Prague. Jess came to meet me at the train station and we took it to her flat. Her flat is a 5 minute walk from old time square. It is an awesome area and is huge. She has a huge window that overlooks a lot of the city. So we dropped my stuff and then went to meet her mom, gma, sisters, and cousin to go our for the day. They were out when we got to the hotel so we stopped to get something for lunch. We ended up going to a place classed bohemia bagel (a bagel in europe!!) It was honestly the bagel place of prague, I even got a fountain soda! We then walked back to meet Jess fam. That day we walked to Prague castle up to the top. It was really warm out so I was totally regretting my leggings. Prague castle was really pretty and we went into the chapel at the top. We then went to dinner at this cute little Italian restaurant (Jess Gma would not really eat anything but Italian since she lived there till she was about 20. She speaks good English but you can tell Italian is her first language esp after you had a few beers (me not her, she doesn't drink) but I noticed the drunker I got the harder it was for me to understand her. So we sat down to eat outside of course since it was so nice out. Jess, Jackie (jess roommate and friend from home) Jess Mom and I all ordered a beer. This restaurant was extremely slow but when they finally brought over our beers which seemed like four hours later they of course has foam on the top. Well Jess mom has apparently never seen that before because as soon as they put her beer down she goes, '' Omg they put whip cream on the beer here.'' We all just lost it. Jess gma just put her hands to her heads as was like ''eyeyey.''
Later we walked across the Charles Bridge as the sun was going down which was really nice. We took some pictures and then walked back to Jess Apt. That night Jess, Jackie, and I went out to a bar near them. On our way there some Italian boys stopped us and asked for directions. Jess started saying her Gma was from Naples and 'un poco' she spoke a little Italian. So these poor guys are thinking she is going to give them directions in Italian after she gave this speech about how she can speak it. So she starts giving directions...
''You go to the end of this street..''
They were like woooah woooah you said Italian.
''She was like yeah I speak very little.''
It was great.
That night we stayed out until like 3 a.m. It was really fun but I was exhausted from spending the night in the airport. I stopped drinking like almost an hour before we left because I just couldn't do it anymore. Well the time I stopped drinking was about the time all these English guys from Manchester were trying to buy us drinks. Some annoying guy kept trying to get me a drink and I just kept refusing. He even tried to offer me water, I was like what part of I'm fine do you not understand? He then started to ask me what my hobbies were so I tried to be as boring as possible and said running. He was like cool well we should go for a run together tomorrow. I was like uhh yeah I'm going to have to say not that one. I think Jess started to get the hint that I couldn't really take him anymore so she decided to bit the bullet and leave with me.

Day 2.
Easter. Well it was not the freshest Easter I had ever had and Jess was in much worse shape then I was, considering she decided to accept many of the drink offered to us by the English lads. We had such a late start that we went straight to linner (it was like 4) before we went to mass. Dinner was so good. We went to another Italian place of course and it was amazing. All the food was delicious. Mrs. Gallagher got us a litre of wine for Her, Me, and Jess, but Jess was so hung over that it ended up just being the two of us drinking it. After dinner we walked through old town square and new town to do some shopping on our way to mass. Jess Gma picks out an awesome yellow bag for me. Later we went into a clothes store and I tried on a long black dress. No one else was around to check it out except Jess Gma and she of course loved it. I had to buy it because, she knows her stuff. We went to an all Czech Mass so it was one of the more interesting experience I have had. It was really hard to not daydream because we had no idea what they were saying. I mean I knew what part of the mass they were on, but dear god the homily seemed to go on for hours. Despite the fact that we had NO idea what they were saying everything went pretty smoothly until communion. Well I have always taken communion in my hand. I think its terrifying to do it on the tongue and I was always scared if I did, I would drop it. Well NO ONE did it in their hand here. So I am walking up to the priest getting incredibly nervous and of course starting to sweat. It comes to be my turn and what do I do stick out my tongue as I am supposed to. Well I forgot I am supposed to be saying Amen first. So here I am with my tongue sticking out realizing my mistake. So I go to say Amen and what does he do stick the host in my mouth. Soooo yeah I kinda bit him a little bit. Not hard and not anything he probably has not gotten before, but it was incredibly embarrassing all the same.
After Mass we walked back Jess mom and gma to the hotel. Jess and I went to get snacks and then pick up her sister and cousin who was coming back to Jess so spend the night. We ended up stuffing ourselves with snacks and playing three rounds of celebrity, which was really nice because it was what I would have done at home. In one of the rounds someone had done the Easter bunny. Well we got to charades round and Jackie and I were on one team. So we are doing really good when all of a sudden I pull out the Easter bunny. So I'm thinking piece of cake. So I stick my teeth out, give my self little ears, and start hopping around. Peter rabbit she says. Ohhhkay. I didn't even know we had him in the game (we didn't) So I go for a different approach. I pretend their is an egg hidden, run behind the chair pick it up and go to crack it. Then put it in a basket and pull it out as if it is the most exciting thing in the world. Birds chirping. It was pretty much a lost hope after that, needless to say we lost. But it was really fun to be hanging out with a family on Easter, even if it was not mine. I still got to have that type of environment with people I know well.

Day 3.
We got up pretty late, as usual. We walked to the super market to get some food for breakfast and then got ready for the day. It was awesome out as usual. We walked to the Charles Bridge to see it in the sunlight and then went to the John Lennon wall. We took some pics and I got to write on the wall. I of course wrote my name because I write it on everything and then I wrote 516 + 1036, IMU. It was really cool to see all the stuff written, but at the same time Jess and Jackie were saying the stuff they had written a month before had already been painted over. There is so many people writing on their and so little space that the wall is constantly changing. After the wall we walked around to find a place to eat. we find a nice little place with lots of options. It was really good. We ended up having a couple of beers with lunch so we were all feeling pretty good. After we walked back of the Charles Bridge and tried to find a store that one of Jess students had told her about. As we were walking across the bridge Jess Gma grabbed my arm and started telling me her life story. About how she was a young girl in Italy and very pretty and her to be husband wanted to marry her, but she couldn't because her older sister was not yet married. It was great, I got to hear all about her life before the states! The store was very uhh hippie? Haha very Jess not so much me. I did find an awesome dress but it was huge and Jess Gma did not think it suited me well! After we shopped we talked Jess mom into going to a wine bar that was four different levels and used to be a bomb shelter. She was very reluctant because she didn't want to leave her mom but we finally talked her into it. The whole way there Jess Mom kept saying how bad she felt about leaving the others but we finally got there and just sat and talked. We were only supposed to have one glass, but as soon as we got low Mrs. Gallagher goes, well we have to have another. We all just laughed. I snuck up and pretended I was going to the bathroom to buy a round for us, since Jess mom was paying for everything and refused to let us pay. I was wearing the long black dress that I had brought the day before. As I am standing ordering the wine some guy says to me....
''ohh you look very nice where are you going''
''Uhh no where, I have been wearing this all day.''
''Very chic, day to night, day to night I love it.''
''Uhh thanks.''
(to his buddy) ''look how nice, day to night, isn't it chic.''
His buddy gave him a questioning look and was just like uhh yeah.
So I said my goodbyes and went back to the table not mentioning to the others what had happened. Well 5 minutes later this guy goes to leave and stops by our table and kiss my hand telling the others how chic I was. I was just like oooh my god this is so embarrassing. Jess mom loved it and was like whooo was that. I was like I dunno some drunk guy that thinks my outfit works well in the day time and night time. The best part about the whole situation was I don't think he was gay, just very drunk.
After we finished our wine we went back to the hotel to find the others. We dropped of Jess mom said our goodbyes and went back to Jess. We just stopped there for a bit before heading to a beer garden. The beer garden was awesome. There were just a ton of picnic tables in the middle of a park with fuse ball tables and a huge movie screen sized T.V. Jackie said that when their are football games on it gets absolutely packed, but all that was on the big screen that night was Rihanna vs. Pink videos (idea of awesome, jess worst nightmare) so there was not so big of a crowd. We ended up having a couple of beers before some guys challenged us to a fuse ball game. We ended up dominating and were all for another when they asked for a rematch. it was starting to get really cold though, so when they started to yell in Czech after their second lost we decided we should probably hit the road.

Day 4.
The next day Jess and Jackie had to go to work. I decided to go for a run. I ran straight down their street to the river and ran around there. I ended up coming to a really pretty garden so I just ran and walked around a bit to take in all the sights. It was really nice, but really hot so I crawled back up the street to get ready for the day. After I rejuvenated and I got ready to go meet the Gallagher’s at their hotel where we were going to be going to Patron Hill. We had specific directions from Jess and Jackie on how to get there. We finally arrived and got to the top. It was awesome. The best views of the city! Once we were at the top of the hill we went up a mini Eiffel tower which had even better views. The only problem was we had to walk all the way up so I was really regretting my run that morning after about the 50th step. Once we got to the top we walked down the hill to get some lunch. We stopped halfway down to have a sandwich and sit outside. Once we got to the bottom we laid out a blanket and laid down for a bit. Jess Grandma did not want to sit in the sun so she was going to sit on a bench not far from us. I felt bad that she was going to just sit there so I gave her my Ipod and put it on shuffle for her to listen to. The first song that came up was 50 cent, so I was like dear god I hope she gets some good ones. I showed her how to skip the next song but she just said if she didn't like it she would take the headphones out. We ended up all falling asleep on the blanket so when we woke up and walked over to gma I was expecting her to have the earphones safely in her lap, but no she was still listening to the pod! I went through to see what she had listened to and it was all pretty relaxed songs. Thank god I though, I could not imagine is Maneater or like snoop dogg came on while she was listening.
We took the tram (above ground metro) back to Jess apt. We were supposed to go to a Mexican restaurant that night for half price margaritas but Jess gma really didn't want Mexican so we ended up going back to the Italian place from Easter. It was just as good though. That night we just relaxed and chilled because we were exhausted.

Day 5.
I woke up and went with Jess to her class. She had some time before she had to go so we sat and had a espresso before she left and then I walked around and did a little bit of shopping at H&M. After Jess class we went to meet her fam. We went into town and went to the communist museum. It was really weird to see all the stuff their, esp since they just changed over in 1989, some of it was so recent! After the communist museum we did some more shopping at H&M for Jess since she needed some work clothes. That night we went to the Mexican place for dinner. Gma gave in since we had brought her back to the Italian place the night before. Jess other roommate Penny came along, who is incredible strange. She is from Budapest and is about 30. She of course was sitting next to me at the end of the table and across from me was Jess mom so we were her only gateway to conversation. I honestly did my best to be nice and make conversation but the things she was talking about were just insane.
One. We spoke about D.C. and how going to school there was pretty dangerous and she started saying how she would never want to go to D.C or American really for that matter. I was like uhh have you ever been to D.C. She was like no but I have been to Canada once. I was like uhh that’s great but you do realize Canada is not part of the states right. She was like I know but my ex-boyfriend lives in D.C. he was a jerk, he is a rapper. I was like right, now your totally making sense.
Two. Her second main topic of conversation was the fact that she is now thirty and would like to have a baby, to which we could only reply, that is nice.
Three. This is by far the most strange and most interesting topic of the night. Sooo Jess mom is talking a little bit about religion and Penny says how she started her own religion. Now I turn my head because I am very intrigued by this. Yes she said, it is not anything like worshiping Satan there are four members at the moment. Jess mom was like soo what do you practice. She said well we go to a new city every year and go to a seminary. Then we looks for the graves of famous people and have séances for them. We were like WHATTTTT. I mean honestly I do not know how Jess mom kept a straight face through-out that conversation because I def struggled.
That night Jess, Jackie, and I went back to the bomb shelter place. We just had a few beers but were really full from dinner. It was also really smoky in there because people just smoke in bars all the time. So after one or two we started to get a little overwhelmed and decided to leave.

Day 6. (My last day)
Jess had to work basically all day on my last day. I was going to join Jess fam and go to the Zoo with them but I decided I really wanted to go to the Jewish Quarters, something Jess family was really not interested in when we had passed it previously in the week. I had a map and basically knew were I was going. I could of taken the tram right there but it was nice out and since I had really done no form of exercise I decided I would walk. Well I was being pretty easy going about the whole thing, perhaps a little too easy going. I was not too sure where I was going but didn't really care that much and was just wandering. Well it started to get really hot. I was wearing my Banana Republic dress which is really thick and carrying a heavy bag so I started to sweat a bit. Now its about an hour and half into it and I should have been well into a tour by now so I am starting to get a little frustrated. I had been following the signs for the Jewish synagogue but when I got there I realized that had nothing to do with the Jewish quarter. I kept walking. then it got to about two hours and I really had to pee, I looked up and what did I find, a mall. The last thing I probably needed to do was shop but it was there. I was hot, had blisters, had to pee, and was frustrated, so H&M for the third time that week, I went.
After I was rejuvenated and little bit poorer, I walked back outside to start fresh. I looked on my map found the place I needed to go and go there in about ten minutes. I mean really I was walking circles around it. So I got all excited and was waiting to cross the street when I realized it was deserted. Hmm that’s odd I thought. I looked a bit closer and saw that the fence was closed, even stranger. I walked over to the fence and what do you know, it was closed. AWESOME. I left defeated and now after walking around for three hours I was starving so I started to look for a place to eat. I wanted to eat outside, since it was so nice out, but I felt a bit silly going to crowded place since I was by myself. So I walked around for a while and found a little deserted restaurant that had a back garden for outside seating.
I sat down and had a nice salad, a beer, and an espresso. I read a little bit of Vanity Fair. It was very nice. I then decided it was time to get back. I waked slowly back to Jess and laid around a bit till it was time to go to dinner. That night we went to another Italian restaurant. The food was really good as usual and since it was our last night Jess mom insisted we have lots of wine. After three very large glasses and our plates were clean we decided to have some coffee and desserts. We were def all feeling buzzed when Jess told her mom she needed to try the local alcohol. No idea what the name was. So two minutes later after some convincing we are all taking a shot together. Well the legal ones. Jess mom really enjoyed it because all of a sudden another round as being brought to the table. It was the third one that Jess grandma tried to intervene and said she was going to tell Jess father if Mrs. Gallagher took another. Well we thought this was hilarious at this point.
‘’Tell my husband…haha…haha..what would he care for.’’
After that though I think Jess was a little scared to order a forth, but you could tell she wanted one. Gma decided she needed go to the bathroom and as soon as she got up Jess was flagging down the waiter to get us another shot. He put the shots on the table and Mrs. Gallagher told him he needed to take one with us. He went to pour himself a shot, but we were all getting really nervous that gma was going to get back and see out shots so we panicked and took it without him. He came over to take it with us and realized we had already finished. We apologized profusely, but the damage was done. No more shots.
We all walked back to the hotel and Jess apt, very slowly and wobbly. Three large glasses of wine and four shots will do that to you. We had planned to go to the bar that night since it was my last night and Neyo was going to be thee (he was a filming a movie and went every Thursday) but that damage was done and we were not making it out. As we took the elevator up to Jess it did not sound very good. We finally reached the 5th floor and heard a loud screeeech. Crap. The door would not open. Jess being have beer muscles (well wine and vodka) decided she would take it upon herself to rip open the door. Thank the lord it was not too far away from the top. It was just a little step on the floor.

The next day we all got up very early and talked about how quickly our night had escalated out of control. Jess and Jackie did not remember the walk back. I said my goodbyes to Jackie and Jess, thanked them for their hospitality and then was off to my flight. Back to England for my third and final term.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you are enjoying your adventure! When I think of Prague I think of getting lost, alone, at night, trying to find my hostel on my first night there...scary it was. So what does one have to do to join Penny's cult, I mean religion? Too funny.

mcuneo said...

Haha thanks. I feel you on the getting lost in prague thing, but atleast mine was not at night! I am sure Penny would be more than happy for you to join her cult! I can help you get in contact with her if you'd like!