At the Stadium built for the 1896 games.
Greece
Saturday
We arrived in Athens at around 6 exhausted and hungry. We went to our hotel where we had tea and a drink and everyone went to bed to prepare for the next day.
Sunday
On Saturday we jumped in our coach to see the city. We went to the Acropolis and saw the Parthenon, the first Olympic Stadium that held 69,000 people. While we were there I was approached by some man who was trying to sell me a hat. I looked at and said, "Do you have any idea what that would do to my hair.?"
He just looked at me like I was insane. I'm not sure if that was because he couldn't speak english or because my hair hadn't been washed in two days and was in a messy braids pulled back into a clip. Two seconds later some crazy man appeared out of the bushes scaring the crap out of me. Dear god I thought I don't have the best feeling about this country.
It didn't get better as we walked up to the Acropolis and there were stray dogs everywhere and more crazy men selling things. One of these things were carousel umbrellas.
"Umbella," they would say putting it over your head. It started to get really annoying so I just kept looking them in the eye and saying "NO" as firmly as I could. Most of them were really short so as they would walk away their umbrellas would smack me in the head. It was quite comical, unless you were me.
After the Acropolis we went to lunch and shopped a bit. I was with the year 11's and James Harrison. James and I had some beers local beers with lunch, Mythos they were called. I had portobello mushrooms with sun-dried tomatoes and a cheese I had never heard of. It was really good. We also had complementary dessert, shots, and chips, they must have liked us.
We let the kids go shop but James and I just sat there because we really don't get the opportunity to do so. On the way back to meet the others, I was stopped by a clown who was following me and mimicking my walk. I stopped and answered his standard where are you from question and then he asked me if I would like a balloon figure thing. As if I would ever turn one of those down.
"For free?" I asked. and he did what I thought was a nod, but thinking back on it, it could of just as easily been spasm. Well he made me ballon sunglasses, which I thought were great, and I put them on right away. I said thanks and started to walk away, but he started to follow me with a piggy bank. I got a little annoyed by this since I thought it was for free, but then I took a good look at the piggy bank and realized it look a lot like Chubbs Jr., so I could not refuse.
As we kept walking I was checking out the street vendors for a new (fake) purse. (what the silly brits call a wallet.) I am no good at bargaining so I one of the year 11 girls was supposed to be helping me out. I finally found the one I wanted and look around for Harriet, but she was no where to be found. Seeing that we had to be back in like 5 minutes to meet the others I got some confidence and tried to do it on my own. "Ten euros?," I asked. It was honestly a Bart Simpson moment and I smacked myself on the head as soon as realized my mistake. He of course agreed to my ten dollars and put his hand out. I should have asked how much first, so when I tried to put the price down, he said, "no you just said ten." Damn, I thought handing him my crisp ten euros.
We started to walk back to the hotel, stopping half way to let the kids walk around a bit. I took the opportunity to buy some postcards and thats when I saw an US weekly. It was as if the magazines split and a strange light was shining down on it, you couldn't miss it. LeAnne Rimes, affair, the headline read. OMG what is going on?!?! It was the first time I have even seen one of them since I had been over here, I have to get the scoop I thought. I asked how much. 6.50 the man said. 6.50?!?! for an US weekly.
"Do you know how much it cost in the states?", I asked him. He gave me a questioning look.
"4.50, 4.50," I said the second one a little bit louder for dramatic effect.
"6.50," he repeated.
"humph," was what I think came out of my mouth next as I walked away with a lok of pure disgust on my face.
Defeated is the only word I could use to describe how I felt after that. Spotting the 'Bar' across the street I walked over to the zebra crossing (yes I just found out thats what they call it in England, remember thought they pronounce z, zed so it sounds even more strange.) So I crossed the street to have another beer and drown in my sorrows. We then walked back to the hotel where Fiona and I had a short siesta and then got up for dinner and a drink. That night we just showered had another beer and then went to sleep.
Monday.
We left the hotel at 9 a.m. We went to Sunio to see the Temple which was very nice. Everything was always built on the highest hill so everything we saw had incredible views. We then drove on to see the Corinthians Canal. This canal was built so you would be able to pass between Northern and Southern Greece and not having to go all the way around them to reach Italy or Turkey I think it is on the other side?? A couple minutes from the canal, was a restaurant where we had some lunch, sitting outside we watched the boats pass by. We thought it was beautiful out but the Greeks apparently thought it was freezing out and all choose to sit inside. We had some house wine and I had the greek salad. The feta cheese was excellent as you would expect.
After lunch we got a better view of the canal standing on the bridges right above it. It was really cool. After the canal we went to Tolos. Here our hotel was right on the beach. We took the kids down to the beach, it was really cool and nice out so I decided to go for a run through the town. This must not something that happens very often because I got a lot of funny looks and two men actually pointed at me. The town was very cute through. It was very beach like with lots of little stores and ice cream and places to sit outside and have something to eat. Fiona and I walked back after my run and we both both bought some sandals. We than had dinner and went back to town. I got a nice bracelet made from the wood of an olive tree.
After town we took the 6th form for a drink and we stayed out until around one.
Tuesday.
It was much warmer today. After breakfast we went to Epidavros theatre which could hold around 90,00 people. Even though the seats went very high up it was designed so that the sound would carry to the highest point. We climbed to the very top and then sent some girls down to sing and we could hear them perfectly. There were orange trees all over the place here so I decided to have a freshly squeezed orange juice which was the best idea I ever had, because it was awesome.
After the theatre we went to umm somewhere was saw lots of remains. Here there were lots of bugs and bees around because we were outside. One of he kids was like eww there is a bug on me. "Its just a ladybird," Fiona said.
"Surely you mean a ladybug," I said.
"No, a ladybird."
This is where I got slightly annoyed.
"Look I put up with rubbish, bin, pardon, but there is no way I am calling that thing a bird. It doesn't even make sense."
"It flies."
"Flies. Flies!!!. So do bees, butterflies, moths, flies, wasps, mosquitoes. It is not a bird. End of story."
I was with 48 other british people so there was no way I was going to win the argument no matter what I said, but I just ended it there.
Lunch was at a really nice restaurant, it seemed like a place where there would be a lot of wedding recpetions. We sat outside with a very large white canopy above us, come to think of it, everything was white. I had the vegetable special along with another fresh orange juice, which was even better than the first. My meal was stuffed tomato and eggplant with french fries. Delic.
After lunch we went to Mycenae. We first saw a burial area and hen went across to see where they lived and the walls that protected them. Just like everything else it had fantastic views. After we had a four hour bus ride to Olympia.
When we got to Olympia, which was very small, we had our tea and then went to town. Fiona and I were walking in town when we got accosted by some man.
"Ladies," he shouted.
"uhh yes."
"Where are you from."
"New Jersey," I said.
"Ahh New Jersey, I held the torch for the olympics in Georgia," then he pulled us into his jewelry shop to show us a postcard of him running along some guy carrying the olympic torch. He circled himself in the picture and then signed the back of it, handing us each one. He then stuck a ring on my finger, which was a 'greek ring' and convinced me I must buy it. At this point Fiona got very creeped out and left the store. I was finding it all a little hilarious, so I was totally going along with all his crap. He asked me for my phone number, saying don't worry about the others, they won't see. I wrote down a fake number for him. He then asked me to go Greek dancing with him. "I am a Greek dancer," he said, as he paraded around the store dancing. Honestly what does this guy not do I thought. I can't come I told him because I was looking after kids. "What time, What time?" I wait for you.
"I dunno what time I will be done," I told him.
"I wait for you," he said.
I then took a picture with him and the torch and called Fiona to do the same. Finally leaving him thinking I will never see thing man again .
Later I stayed back with the 6th form sitting outside and having some drinks. It got late so I walked the 6th form back and then walked back into town with John, James and James and we sat outside having another beer. We were just relaxing and talking when I saw something out of the corner of my eye. A white car had driven by us and was now backing up to where we were sat. The car was just chilling in the middle of the road as the occupier got out.
"Marcy?" I heard the person call.
Oh dear god its George I thought.
"Marcy, what time do you get here?"
I looked at the others for support, but they were just looking at George and then me dumbfounded.
"Uhh ten minutes ago," I said.
"You want to come dancing?"
"Uhh thanks so much George, but I am going to stay here."
"Oh okay Marcy, bye."
"Bye George."
As he walked away the others said how nice it was for a man to come up to a girl and asked her to come dancing. Why they didn't think it was incredibly creepy since he was about 60 was beyond me. Honestly thought me dancing, Greek dancing, that is like my worst nightmare.
Wednesday
Wednesday we went to see Olympia. We saw where all the races and games happened. Hearing how they used to cover there bodies in olive oil before they went on. We walked around the grounds checking out the remains of the large Zeus statue and the race track. Here some of the boys raced. After we went to a museum to see more on Olympia. After we went to lunch. It was really nice out so after lunch we all laid out on the ground before we had to get on the bus for another four hour bus ride to Delphi. People must of though we were crazy because for them it wasn't even that hot and here we are 49 people laying in the middle of the road suntanning.
As we rove to Delphi we crossed a really long, impressive bridge called Rio Antirio, completed in 2004 for the olympics that connected the two islands. Before the bridge they had to take ferries to get across.
In Delphi we stayed in a little hotel right in the center of town. We went to dinner and then walked around town. James, James and I took the year 11s to get some ice cream. Later Fiona and I took the 6th form out for a beer.
While we were there we saw some very drunk woman go up to our 6th form and talk to them. Two of them ran over to us to say she was a chaperone of another group. Once she finished talking to them she came over to us.
"Hello," she said and then burped and swayed.
Oh dear, I thought she is wasted.
"Hi," I said back
"Are you a teacher?" she asked.
"Yes."
"You look so young."
"It's my first year."
"me too!"
At this point she went in as if she was going to hug me. I was so confused so I turned around to look at Fiona who was at the bar and she just nudged against my shoulder.
"Are you alone?"
"Yeah, I had a bunch of boys with me that I was supposed to be looking out for but I lost them."
"You lost them?!?"
"Yeah."
"Umm do you think that maybe you should stop drinking and go find them?"
Strange noises and then she was gone to go back to talk to our 6th form.
Weird. We left not long after that and she ended up following us out but went in the opposite direction once outside.
ThursdayWe started off in a museum. Hearing all their is about Apollo and the Oracle and guess who we saw their. Crazy woman! She looked rough, the most hilarious part about it though was that her kids were about 12. So she obviously just ditched them and made her way into the bar that they clearly would not have been able to get into. Well actually their were some local there that had to be about 12 but still. After the museum we waked through the ruins seeing the theatre and stadium. It was a woofer of a hill to see the stadium but we finally made it and once again it had great views. We then drove through a little ski town called Arihova, which was very pretty on our way to the airport.
Saturday
We arrived in Athens at around 6 exhausted and hungry. We went to our hotel where we had tea and a drink and everyone went to bed to prepare for the next day.
Sunday
On Saturday we jumped in our coach to see the city. We went to the Acropolis and saw the Parthenon, the first Olympic Stadium that held 69,000 people. While we were there I was approached by some man who was trying to sell me a hat. I looked at and said, "Do you have any idea what that would do to my hair.?"
He just looked at me like I was insane. I'm not sure if that was because he couldn't speak english or because my hair hadn't been washed in two days and was in a messy braids pulled back into a clip. Two seconds later some crazy man appeared out of the bushes scaring the crap out of me. Dear god I thought I don't have the best feeling about this country.
It didn't get better as we walked up to the Acropolis and there were stray dogs everywhere and more crazy men selling things. One of these things were carousel umbrellas.
"Umbella," they would say putting it over your head. It started to get really annoying so I just kept looking them in the eye and saying "NO" as firmly as I could. Most of them were really short so as they would walk away their umbrellas would smack me in the head. It was quite comical, unless you were me.
After the Acropolis we went to lunch and shopped a bit. I was with the year 11's and James Harrison. James and I had some beers local beers with lunch, Mythos they were called. I had portobello mushrooms with sun-dried tomatoes and a cheese I had never heard of. It was really good. We also had complementary dessert, shots, and chips, they must have liked us.
We let the kids go shop but James and I just sat there because we really don't get the opportunity to do so. On the way back to meet the others, I was stopped by a clown who was following me and mimicking my walk. I stopped and answered his standard where are you from question and then he asked me if I would like a balloon figure thing. As if I would ever turn one of those down.
"For free?" I asked. and he did what I thought was a nod, but thinking back on it, it could of just as easily been spasm. Well he made me ballon sunglasses, which I thought were great, and I put them on right away. I said thanks and started to walk away, but he started to follow me with a piggy bank. I got a little annoyed by this since I thought it was for free, but then I took a good look at the piggy bank and realized it look a lot like Chubbs Jr., so I could not refuse.
As we kept walking I was checking out the street vendors for a new (fake) purse. (what the silly brits call a wallet.) I am no good at bargaining so I one of the year 11 girls was supposed to be helping me out. I finally found the one I wanted and look around for Harriet, but she was no where to be found. Seeing that we had to be back in like 5 minutes to meet the others I got some confidence and tried to do it on my own. "Ten euros?," I asked. It was honestly a Bart Simpson moment and I smacked myself on the head as soon as realized my mistake. He of course agreed to my ten dollars and put his hand out. I should have asked how much first, so when I tried to put the price down, he said, "no you just said ten." Damn, I thought handing him my crisp ten euros.
We started to walk back to the hotel, stopping half way to let the kids walk around a bit. I took the opportunity to buy some postcards and thats when I saw an US weekly. It was as if the magazines split and a strange light was shining down on it, you couldn't miss it. LeAnne Rimes, affair, the headline read. OMG what is going on?!?! It was the first time I have even seen one of them since I had been over here, I have to get the scoop I thought. I asked how much. 6.50 the man said. 6.50?!?! for an US weekly.
"Do you know how much it cost in the states?", I asked him. He gave me a questioning look.
"4.50, 4.50," I said the second one a little bit louder for dramatic effect.
"6.50," he repeated.
"humph," was what I think came out of my mouth next as I walked away with a lok of pure disgust on my face.
Defeated is the only word I could use to describe how I felt after that. Spotting the 'Bar' across the street I walked over to the zebra crossing (yes I just found out thats what they call it in England, remember thought they pronounce z, zed so it sounds even more strange.) So I crossed the street to have another beer and drown in my sorrows. We then walked back to the hotel where Fiona and I had a short siesta and then got up for dinner and a drink. That night we just showered had another beer and then went to sleep.
Monday.
We left the hotel at 9 a.m. We went to Sunio to see the Temple which was very nice. Everything was always built on the highest hill so everything we saw had incredible views. We then drove on to see the Corinthians Canal. This canal was built so you would be able to pass between Northern and Southern Greece and not having to go all the way around them to reach Italy or Turkey I think it is on the other side?? A couple minutes from the canal, was a restaurant where we had some lunch, sitting outside we watched the boats pass by. We thought it was beautiful out but the Greeks apparently thought it was freezing out and all choose to sit inside. We had some house wine and I had the greek salad. The feta cheese was excellent as you would expect.
After lunch we got a better view of the canal standing on the bridges right above it. It was really cool. After the canal we went to Tolos. Here our hotel was right on the beach. We took the kids down to the beach, it was really cool and nice out so I decided to go for a run through the town. This must not something that happens very often because I got a lot of funny looks and two men actually pointed at me. The town was very cute through. It was very beach like with lots of little stores and ice cream and places to sit outside and have something to eat. Fiona and I walked back after my run and we both both bought some sandals. We than had dinner and went back to town. I got a nice bracelet made from the wood of an olive tree.
After town we took the 6th form for a drink and we stayed out until around one.
Tuesday.
It was much warmer today. After breakfast we went to Epidavros theatre which could hold around 90,00 people. Even though the seats went very high up it was designed so that the sound would carry to the highest point. We climbed to the very top and then sent some girls down to sing and we could hear them perfectly. There were orange trees all over the place here so I decided to have a freshly squeezed orange juice which was the best idea I ever had, because it was awesome.
After the theatre we went to umm somewhere was saw lots of remains. Here there were lots of bugs and bees around because we were outside. One of he kids was like eww there is a bug on me. "Its just a ladybird," Fiona said.
"Surely you mean a ladybug," I said.
"No, a ladybird."
This is where I got slightly annoyed.
"Look I put up with rubbish, bin, pardon, but there is no way I am calling that thing a bird. It doesn't even make sense."
"It flies."
"Flies. Flies!!!. So do bees, butterflies, moths, flies, wasps, mosquitoes. It is not a bird. End of story."
I was with 48 other british people so there was no way I was going to win the argument no matter what I said, but I just ended it there.
Lunch was at a really nice restaurant, it seemed like a place where there would be a lot of wedding recpetions. We sat outside with a very large white canopy above us, come to think of it, everything was white. I had the vegetable special along with another fresh orange juice, which was even better than the first. My meal was stuffed tomato and eggplant with french fries. Delic.
After lunch we went to Mycenae. We first saw a burial area and hen went across to see where they lived and the walls that protected them. Just like everything else it had fantastic views. After we had a four hour bus ride to Olympia.
When we got to Olympia, which was very small, we had our tea and then went to town. Fiona and I were walking in town when we got accosted by some man.
"Ladies," he shouted.
"uhh yes."
"Where are you from."
"New Jersey," I said.
"Ahh New Jersey, I held the torch for the olympics in Georgia," then he pulled us into his jewelry shop to show us a postcard of him running along some guy carrying the olympic torch. He circled himself in the picture and then signed the back of it, handing us each one. He then stuck a ring on my finger, which was a 'greek ring' and convinced me I must buy it. At this point Fiona got very creeped out and left the store. I was finding it all a little hilarious, so I was totally going along with all his crap. He asked me for my phone number, saying don't worry about the others, they won't see. I wrote down a fake number for him. He then asked me to go Greek dancing with him. "I am a Greek dancer," he said, as he paraded around the store dancing. Honestly what does this guy not do I thought. I can't come I told him because I was looking after kids. "What time, What time?" I wait for you.
"I dunno what time I will be done," I told him.
"I wait for you," he said.
I then took a picture with him and the torch and called Fiona to do the same. Finally leaving him thinking I will never see thing man again .
Later I stayed back with the 6th form sitting outside and having some drinks. It got late so I walked the 6th form back and then walked back into town with John, James and James and we sat outside having another beer. We were just relaxing and talking when I saw something out of the corner of my eye. A white car had driven by us and was now backing up to where we were sat. The car was just chilling in the middle of the road as the occupier got out.
"Marcy?" I heard the person call.
Oh dear god its George I thought.
"Marcy, what time do you get here?"
I looked at the others for support, but they were just looking at George and then me dumbfounded.
"Uhh ten minutes ago," I said.
"You want to come dancing?"
"Uhh thanks so much George, but I am going to stay here."
"Oh okay Marcy, bye."
"Bye George."
As he walked away the others said how nice it was for a man to come up to a girl and asked her to come dancing. Why they didn't think it was incredibly creepy since he was about 60 was beyond me. Honestly thought me dancing, Greek dancing, that is like my worst nightmare.
Wednesday
Wednesday we went to see Olympia. We saw where all the races and games happened. Hearing how they used to cover there bodies in olive oil before they went on. We walked around the grounds checking out the remains of the large Zeus statue and the race track. Here some of the boys raced. After we went to a museum to see more on Olympia. After we went to lunch. It was really nice out so after lunch we all laid out on the ground before we had to get on the bus for another four hour bus ride to Delphi. People must of though we were crazy because for them it wasn't even that hot and here we are 49 people laying in the middle of the road suntanning.
As we rove to Delphi we crossed a really long, impressive bridge called Rio Antirio, completed in 2004 for the olympics that connected the two islands. Before the bridge they had to take ferries to get across.
In Delphi we stayed in a little hotel right in the center of town. We went to dinner and then walked around town. James, James and I took the year 11s to get some ice cream. Later Fiona and I took the 6th form out for a beer.
While we were there we saw some very drunk woman go up to our 6th form and talk to them. Two of them ran over to us to say she was a chaperone of another group. Once she finished talking to them she came over to us.
"Hello," she said and then burped and swayed.
Oh dear, I thought she is wasted.
"Hi," I said back
"Are you a teacher?" she asked.
"Yes."
"You look so young."
"It's my first year."
"me too!"
At this point she went in as if she was going to hug me. I was so confused so I turned around to look at Fiona who was at the bar and she just nudged against my shoulder.
"Are you alone?"
"Yeah, I had a bunch of boys with me that I was supposed to be looking out for but I lost them."
"You lost them?!?"
"Yeah."
"Umm do you think that maybe you should stop drinking and go find them?"
Strange noises and then she was gone to go back to talk to our 6th form.
Weird. We left not long after that and she ended up following us out but went in the opposite direction once outside.
ThursdayWe started off in a museum. Hearing all their is about Apollo and the Oracle and guess who we saw their. Crazy woman! She looked rough, the most hilarious part about it though was that her kids were about 12. So she obviously just ditched them and made her way into the bar that they clearly would not have been able to get into. Well actually their were some local there that had to be about 12 but still. After the museum we waked through the ruins seeing the theatre and stadium. It was a woofer of a hill to see the stadium but we finally made it and once again it had great views. We then drove through a little ski town called Arihova, which was very pretty on our way to the airport.
Yassas. (Goodbye!)
1 comment:
That thing that George is holding looks more like a lamp from Granny's Attic than a legit Olympic torch. Also, George is wearing a wedding ring, I think. Very suspicious character.
Post a Comment