More from the teaching front.
So I was teaching year this week as usual and we were doing a silent activity quiz. So everyone was talking, as usual and completely ignoring me. Honestly you would of thought I was whoopee Goldberg from Sister Act, the way I was being treated, well minus the habit and the dreads but still. So at one point in the quiz Nemo (that’s what we will call him from now on) raised his hand. Hmm strange I thought because he is never usually quiet and he never raises his hand.
‘Uhh yes Nemo.’
‘Miss I thought this was a silent activity.’
Me: (You have got to be kidding me) ‘Yes Nemo, thank you very much for pointing that out this is a silent activity.’
'Very cheeky,' as his Mom said later, when I told her the story.
So today a much more embarrassing thing happened when I was teaching. So I was pulling out all of their classwork books that I had graded the night before when something feel out of my bag. Now lets get serious it could have been anything. My ring that has been in there for the past two months, flash cards, wallet, credit cards, but no. It had to be a tampon. Well my class is full of 3rd grade boys so I didn’t really know how to react to the situation. I was in the middle of talking and they were all of course, for once, looking and paying attention. Soo I tried to be sly and slide the tampon under my foot. Well that didn’t really work considering it was a super tampax brand those things are not very easy to hide.
‘What is that?’ One boy asked.
‘Umm it’s a bandaid.’ I mean come on I was on the spot.
‘A bandaid?’ First off they don’t even call them that here and second off I meant bandage.
‘Uhh you mean like one of those big band things?’
‘Yup, that’s the one, so as I was saying…..’
It as only year three and they have probably all forgotten, but dear lord it was embarrassing. Probably not as bad as when Emily dropped one running across the court at halftime during a Camden Catholic game, but I would say close to that level.
So I am coaching the U19 Yorkshire team this year, so like the county team for lacrosse. There are two other Americans from schools around me, that have been asked to do it as well and so Sunday I was with them all day coaching. It was actually really funny to work with them and talk to them about different words and stuff because it is their first year. One of the girls was talking about how she had a really big crush on a teacher from her school until she spoke to him and realized he was gay. We were wondering out how she came to this conclusion and so she said, ‘right, well I’ll tell you.’
One he commented on my burberry jacket…not to weird
Two we were speaking about the art capitals of the world and he said they were also the fashion capitals..eh
Three he said lovely, a lot.
Me: umm thats a common thing here, luke says lovely all the time.
Four he was talking about his partner, how they travelled together.
Me: Hmm sorry partner here is like boyfriend or girlfriend, they all say it. When you fill out surveys and stuff it says live in with partner..not boyfriend or girlfriend.
Five he has a cat.
Me: Well anyone that likes cats is just weird (sorry Laura)
So apparently as we figured out later, he is not gay and it is just another one of those cultural things. I’m so glad I don’t have to do that all over again.
Right so one more week until Holland and Stockholm. Yay..speak soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment